Tomorrow, the 85thMasters Tournament will tee off in Augusta, Georgia. There’s no shortage of story lines to follow this time around, but only one golfer will end up sporting that snappy green jacket at the end of it all. With Tiger Woods still on ice, these are the top ten contenders, and who will…or won’t…end up taking the tournament.
- Dustin Johnson –In his last five Masters, the worst he’s finished is tied for tenth with a 208…and he dominated last November. That said, only three players have ever won it back-to-back:Jack Nicklaus,Nick Faldo, and Tiger Woods.
- Bryson DeChambeau –He’s been on fire as of late and predicted softer conditions will only help his game. Still, Augusta is one course he hasn’t been able to figure out.
- Jon Rahm –Winning a major tournament is just an inevitability, and he’s been close the last three years at The Masters. His putting is what’ll make or break him.
- Jordan Spieth –Winning last week, he’s also on a hot streak and he’s comfortable at Augusta. He said last week wasn’t his best golf even though he won. If he’s just being modest…fine. If he’s not comfortable, it could be a long weekend.
- Justin Thomas –His form is strong right now and he won The Players last month. Accuracy off the tee is what’s going to decide this for him.
- Rory McIlroy –He’s not on the top of anyone’s list, but he’s been actively working on his swing. With the pressure off he could sneak into the mix. However, if that swing work doesn’t bear fruit, he could have trouble even making the cut.
- Patrick Cantlay –He’s off the radar and has a game that fits Augusta nicely. However, he hasn’t had his best stuff over the last month and will need to step things up to make a run.
- Xander Schauffele –Statistically, he’s got as good a shot as anyone. However, moving from “not bad” to “great” is a much-needed step to contend here.
- Brooks Koepka– He shows up to play for major championships. He’s also fresh off knee surgery and that’s going to make all the difference.
- Collin Morikawa– He’s the top ball-striker on the list. As impressive as that is, if his putter isn’t working it won’t make a difference.